Nurse Practitioners (NPs) are Registered Nurses with advanced education. Within NYFHT, our NPs work in partnership with Physicians and the interdisciplinary team to improve your health.
One NYFHT program that is NP-led is our Colorectal Cancer Survivorship Program. Patients who have completed active cancer care at North York General Hospital are followed for the usual 5-year period by our NPs. Cancer Care Ontario guidelines are followed for care. Strong links with our local oncologists, surgeons and family physicians make this program a success.
Some examples of the care Nurse Practitioners provide in our NP led Homebound Program are:
- Conducting physical examinations
- Performing assessments such as pap tests, breast exams, prenatal care, elder care and well baby check-ups
- Delivering vaccinations
- Diagnosing and treating acute illnesses, chronic diseases, infections and injuries
- Ordering and interpreting diagnostic and laboratory tests such as x-rays, ultrasounds and blood work
- Prescribing a broad range of medications
- Referring to specialists when required
More information about Nurse Practitioners can be found on the Nurse Practitioners’ Association of Ontario website: www.npao.org