Physician Assistants are highly skilled health professionals who support Physicians and allied health team members to provide evidence based care to patients in many different settings.
Within NYFHT Physician Assistants support patients by working in a shared care model with Physicians, and allied health team members providing quality primary care focusing on chronic disease management, episodic and preventative care.
Some examples include:
- Providing chronic disease visits for diabetes, and blood pressure management.
- Providing same day or next day episodic visits for urinary tract infections, respiratory illnesses, and dermatological issues.
- Conducting physical exams for both episodic and preventative care
- Ordering, and interpreting investigations such as imaging and blood work to investigate a patient concern
- Delivering vaccinations
- Prescribing a limited number of medications in conjunction with a physician or through medical directives
- Providing post discharge from hospital stay follow up